Friday, March 7, 2008

Spring Fever

Just (im)patiently waiting for the spring thaw.

The bountiful snowfall in Lapeer county this year hasn't stopped me from logging some riding time outside though. Just aching to get back on the trails. Over the past year, I've put together a serviceable assortment of winter riding clothes. For Christmas, my parents got me a pair of neoprene booties, and a new pair of tights (to replace the ones I tore when I crashed at Iceman). I also picked up a pair of Moose Mitts at the MMBA expo to keep my hands warm. Add to that the skull caps, windbreakers, pullovers, long sleeve base layers, and socks that my wife and parents have bought for me, and I'm just about set.

The Quiring is set up in fixed gear format, with a 16 tooth tomicog (http://tomicog.blogspot.com/) bolted up. I've worked out a nice dirt/paved road route that takes me up through the Lapeer State Game area. So far I've done that route twice.

Route for dirt road ride.


Elevation profile for dirt road ride.

I've also been out on the road bike on a few occasions during February and March. Once I met up with Dave from the RBS bike team, and we rode from Lapeer to Otisville and back; just under 50 miles for that day. Another time I met up with my teammate Curt (blog link on right) and a few others at Stony, where I logged 40 miles of riding at a pace I wasn't expecting this early in the year. I've also done the below route from home, which I had done a few times last year. Basically I ride from Imlay City to Lapeer and back. This one nets out at 35 1/2 miles.

Imlay City to Lapeer route.


Elevation Profile

The preceeding maps and charts were made possible by a great gift from a loving wife to her husband. For Valentines Day, Brandy got me a Garmin Edge 305. This came with a cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor, and has a barometric altimeter built in. I'm hoping this will be a great training tool. At the very least, it will be neat to see elevation, speed, and heart rate statistics from my rides.

1 comment:

Curt said...

I knew that you would love the edge.